History

A carefully researched exploration of our history, ‘Dunfanaghy’s Presbyterian Congregation and Its Times’ (PDF, 3.8Mb), a retrospect, was published in May 1978 by Colan MacArthur MA.

Records mention a Presbyterian community and Minister in 1679.  However, the Scots Plantations in the area of Dunfanaghy date from around 1610/1611 and “Presbyterian” clergy were in the Raphoe diocese before 1622.

Meeting House Stone Placard

This Meeting House was rebuilt in the year of our Lord 1750

The first Meeting House was built on a site opposite the present Market Square in the town. This was rebuilt in 1750 as shown by the stone now built into the back wall of the present church.

In 1814, a  new  Meeting House was built at Derryart. The remains of this meeting house which was demolished in 1876 can still be seen by the path close to the boundary wall of Ards Forest Park.  This is opposite the roadside farm house a short distance after the main Ards entrance as you travel in the direction of Dunfanaghy.

An account of the opening of the present church  in October 1878 makes reference in relation to the costs of the building  to “Liberal subscriptions from the members of the congregation and from many of the respectable Episcopalians and Roman Catholic inhabitants of Dunfanaghy and neighbourhood.”

Wall Plaque

This Stable was erected by the Presbyterian Congregation AD 1855

Over the years,  there is evidence of important contributions to the Community through innovations in Agriculture, Fisheries and the development of other local businesses, cooperation and aid in times of need, and positive involvement in all aspects of the life of the area.

When the present church was opened in October 1878. the attraction of Dunfanaghy to visitors was already a factor in the congregation’s thinking and the contribution both to attendance and in support of the Church continues  to be of immense value. Summer attendances are often close to capacity and in recent years very good attendances are welcomed at Dunfanaghy all year round.

In addition to this website, a new development to assist is the invitation to those who would wish to make a special gesture of support by becoming an Associate Member of the congregation. Details are to be found in the pews, by contacting any member, or by using  the Associate Member link.

Church Service

EVERY SUNDAY
at 10.30 am
During July and August, the service will begin at 10.15 am and tea/coffee will be served afterwards.